Item: House of Harlow 1960 Gold & Blackened Arrowhead Earrings
Appearance: Cold War, Listen
First of all, I don’t own the SA House of Harlow earrings. I’ve seen rings and necklaces and even alt dangly earrings of these online, but the SA studs have so far been very elusive. I don’t know of any cosplayer who owns them although there might be one or two who just aren’t that active in sharing what they own. House of Harlow is a rather expensive brand, so even the second-hand jewellery I’ve seen still cost quite a lot for something small and shiny.
But I like crafting things as you can probably tell by my collection of custom-made Clara dresses, so I decided to experiment a little in making my own Clara jewellery. I ordered some plain studs and butterfly stoppers on eBay for £2 (50 pieces), so I have more than enough room to experiment a little more. To shape the earring itself, I used something called SuperSculpey and it’s something I already had at home because I like making my own Funko Pops. If you search for it on eBay, you’ll definitely find it. It is a sort of clay-like material which is quite light and not too bad a material for earrings. It softens by kneading and is then baked in the oven for a while. How long and at what temperature depends on what you’re making and how thick it is. I baked my earrings at 100 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes. Once the SuperSculpey has cooled off, it hardens.
The House of Harlow Arrowhead earrings are a rounded, long triangle shape with a black core. For the gold part, I used the same antique gold spray paint that I already used on my Eagle necklace. Once it had dried, I painted it black with nail polish, but you can probably get a more precise shape with a brush and acrylic paint. If you use acrylic paint, I’d recommend another coat of clear spray paint to give it a nice, glossy finish. When the nail polish had dried, I glued the earring stud on the back using a tiny bit of superglue.
Voila – my custom made alt House of Harlow earrings which saved me a lot of money. Not counting the time they spent in the oven and drying, they took me about 20 minutes.